The world is at stand still over the pandemic virus that is ravaging the world and making life difficult, but despite the daily increase in the spread of the virus, there has been a high level of hope as the number of dead victims are less than the number of people that has recovered from that disease.
below is a statistical analysis of it for today
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||49||+10||2||47||15|
|Trinidad and Tobago||9||+2||9||6|
|U.S. Virgin Islands||3||+1||3||29|
|Antigua and Barbuda||1||1||10|
|St. Vincent Grenadines||1||1||9|
March 19 (GMT)
China: for the first time since the beginning of the outbreak, there have been 0 new cases in Wuhan and in the Hubei province, and no new and no existing suspected cases in Wuhan and in Hubei [source]
- 63 new cases and 24 new deaths in the United Kingdom [source]
- 1652 new cases and 14 new deaths in Germany [source]
- 5 new cases in Réunion [source]
- 1st case in Chad: a Moroccan national from Douala [source]
- 34 new cases in South Africa [source]
- 4 new cases in Brazil [source]
- 2 new cases in Ukraine [source]
- 2626 new cases and 165 new deaths in Spain [source]
- 262 new cases and 10 new deaths in the United States
- 1 death in California, the first in San Benito County: a man in his 60s [source]
- 1 death in Louisiana: a patient in his 60s with underlying health conditions [source]
- 1 death in Georgia [source]
- 1st death in Maryland: a man in his 60s with an underlying medical condition [source]
- 1 death in Washington State: a woman in her 80s with underlying health conditions [source]
New cases include:
- 46 in California, L.A. County [source]
- 2 in Missouri, first 2 in Christian County [source]
- 1 new case in Wisconsin, La Crosse County: a man in his upper 20s [source]
- 27 new cases in Texas including 14 in Bexar County, 3 in Collin County, 1 in Van Zandt [source] [source] [source]
- 2 new cases in Idaho, 1 in Twin Falls County, 1 in Blaine County [source]
- 2 new cases in Nevada, Washoe County: a man in his 30s who recently traveled to Europe and a man in his 30s who recently traveled to Washington [source]
- 1 new case in Ethiopia: an Australian citizen [source]
- 19 new cases in Slovakia [source]
- 1 new case in Aruba [source]
- 2 new cases in Montenegro [source]
- 77 new cases in Pakistan [source]
- 138 new cases and 1 new death in Sweden: an elderly person with underlying health issues
- 367 new cases and 2 new deaths in Austria [source]
- 10 new cases in Bosnia and Herzegovina [source]
- 12 new cases and 2 new deaths in Algeria [source]
- 1 new case and 1 new death in Turkey [source]
- 109 new cases in Czechia [source]
- 7 new cases in Morocco [source]
- 104 new cases in Chile [source]
- 10 new cases in Azerbaijan: all imported cases [source]
- 409 new cases and 18 new deaths in the Netherlands [source]
- 27 new cases in the United Arab Emirates [source]
- 33 new cases in Slovenia [source]
- 8 new cases in Nigeria [source]
- 1 new case in Guyana: had been in contact with the first known case [source]
- 13 new cases in Iraq [source]
- 52 new cases and 1 new death in Russia [source]
- 9 new cases in Sri Lanka [source]
- 32 new cases in Singapore [source]
- 3 new cases in Bolivia [source]
- 41 new cases in Finland [source]
- 1 new case in the United States Virgin Islands [source]
- 16 new cases in Lebanon [source]
- 2 new cases in Bahamas: from the same household as the first confirmed case [source]
- 38 new cases in Poland [source]
- 17 new cases in Romania [source]
- 6 new cases in Burkina Faso [source]
- 80 new cases in Iceland [source]
- 5 new cases in Malta [source]
- 1046 new cases and 149 new deaths in Iran [source]
- 5 new cases in Albania [source]
- 15 new cases in China, Hong Kong SAR [source]
- 9 new cases in Estonia [source]
- 309 new cases and 7 new deaths in Belgium [source]
- 12 new cases in Bahrain [source]
- 10 new cases in Tunisia [source]
- 10 new cases in Peru [source]
- 12 new cases in Armenia [source]
- 2 new cases in Lithuania: both cases imported [source]
- 3 new cases in Tanzania [source]
- 3 new cases in the State of Palestine [source]
- 4 new cases in Bangladesh [source]
- 4 new cases in Guam [source]
- 5 new cases in Brunei Darussalam [source]
- 1 new death in Greece: a 70-year-old man [source]
- 13 new cases and 1 new death in Croatia: 1st confirmed case, a man from Istria region [source]
- 15 new cases in the Philippines [source]
- 75 new cases and 2 new deaths in Denmark [source]
- 2 new cases in Ghana [source]
- 7 new cases in the DR Congo [source]
- 96 new cases in Israel [source]
- 132 new cases and 2 new deaths in Luxembourg [source]
- 15 new cases in Latvia [source]
- 1st death in Russia: a 79-year-old woman with underlying medical conditions [source]
- 110 new cases in Malaysia [source]
- 14 new cases in Faeroe Islands [source]
- 6 new cases in Kuwait [source]
- 1 new case in Cuba: a 57-year-old Canadian citizen who had entered the country on March 14 [source]
- 60 new cases in Thailand [source]
- 82 new cases and 6 new deaths in Indonesia [source]
- 8 new cases in Kazakhstan [source]
- 1st death in Mexico: a 41-year-old man with diabetes [source]
- 8 new cases in Serbia [source]
- 15 new cases in Hungary [source]
- 2 new cases in Georgia [source]
- 8 new cases in Taiwan [source]
- 2 new cases and 1 new death in Bulgaria [source]
- 5 new cases in Uzbekistan, including 3 relatives of a woman who arrived from Paris and 2 passengers of flights from Istanbul and London [source]
- 3 new cases in Honduras [source]
- 2 new cases in Trinidad and Tobago [source]
- 1 new case in French Polynesia [source]
- 1 new death in Argentina [source]
- 1st case in Nicaragua: a 40-year-old who had traveled to Panama from March 13 to 15 [source]
- 1st case in El Salvador [source]
- 1st case in Fiji: a Fijian Airlines flight attendant who briefly traveled through Auckland and had spent time in San Francisco, where it’s believed he contracted the virus [source]
- 1 new death in Curaçao. Death of the first-diagnosed case in the country: a 69-year-old Dutch man from North Brabant (Netherlands) who was on vacation in Curaçao. His condition deteriorated on Monday, when he was admitted to the ICU. Curaçao has 2 more confirmed cases. One is his wife [source]
- 9 new cases in Colombia [source]
- 152 new cases and 7 new deaths in South Korea [source]
- 8 new cases in New Zealand [source]
- 34 new cases, 8 new deaths (all in Hubei), and 819 new discharges occurred in China on March 18, as reported by the National Health Commission (NHC) of China [source]
An outbreak with a reproductive number of below 1 will gradually disappear.
For comparison, the Ro for the common flu is 1.3 and for SARS it was 2.0.
Fatality Rate (case fatality ratio or CFR) of the Wuhan Coronavirus
See full details: Coronavirus Fatality Rate
The novel coronavirus’ case fatality rate has been estimated at around 2%, in the WHO press conference held on January 29, 2020  . However, it noted that, without knowing how many were infected, it was too early to be able to put a percentage on the mortality rate figure.
A prior estimate  had put that number at 3%.
Fatality rate can change as a virus can mutate, according to epidemiologists.
For comparison, the case fatality rate for SARS was 10%, and for MERS 34%.
Incubation Period (how long it takes for symptoms to appear)
See full details: COVID-19 Coronavirus Incubation Period
Symptoms of COVID-19 may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 (estimated ranges vary from 2-10 days, 2-14 days, and 10-14 days, see details), during which the virus is contagious but the patient does not display any symptom (asymptomatic transmission).
Age and conditions of Coronavirus cases
See latest findings: Age, Sex, Demographics of COVID-19 Cases and Deaths
According to early estimates by China’s National Health Commission (NHC), about 80% of those who died were over the age of 60 and 75% of them had pre-existing health conditions such as cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.
According to the WHO Situation Report no. 7 issued on Jan. 27:
- The median age of cases detected outside of China is 45 years, ranging from 2 to 74 years.
- 71% of cases were male.
A study of 138 hospitalized patients with NCIP found that the median age was 56 years (interquartile range, 42-68; range, 22-92 years) and 75 (54.3%) were men.
The WHO, in its Myth busters FAQs, addresses the question: “Does the new coronavirus affect older people, or are younger people also susceptible?” by answering that:
- People of all ages can be infected by the novel coronavirus COVID-19.
- Older people, and people with pre-existing medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease) appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the virus.
Patient who died in the Philippines was a 44-year old male
The patient who died in the Philippines on February 2, in what was the first death occurring outside of China, was a 44-year-old Chinese man from Wuhan who was admitted on Jan. 25 after experiencing fever, cough, and sore throat, before developing severe pneumonia. In the last few days, “the patient was stable and showed signs of improvement, however, the condition of the patient deteriorated within his last 24 hours resulting in his demise.” according to the Philippine Department of Health.
Serious Cases of 30 year old patients in France
As of Jan. 29, according to French authorities, the conditions of the two earliest Paris cases had worsened and the patients were being treated in intensive care, according to French authorities. The patients have been described as a young couple aged 30 and 31 years old, both Chinese citizens from Wuhan who were asymptomatic when they arrived in Paris on January 18 .
Age and Sex of the first deaths as reported by the China National Health Commission (NHC)
The NHC reported the details of the first 17 deaths up to 24 pm on January 22, 2020. The deaths included 13 males and 4 females. The median age of the deaths was 75 (range 48-89) years.
WHO Risk Assessment: Global Emergency
See full details: WHO coronavirus updates
On January 30, the World Health Organization declared the coronavirus outbreak a Global Public Health Emergency.
For more information from the WHO regarding novel coronavirus: WHO page on Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
- Every year an estimated 290,000 to 650,000 people die in the world due to complications from seasonal influenza (flu) viruses. This figure corresponds to 795 to 1,781 deaths per day due to the seasonal flu.
- SARS (November 2002 to July 2003): was a coronavirus that originated from Beijing, China, spread to 29 countries, and resulted in 8,096 people infected with 774 deaths (fatality rate of 9.6%). Considering that SARS ended up infecting 5,237 people in mainland China, Wuhan Coronavirus surpassed SARS on January 29, 2020, when Chinese officials confirmed 5,974 cases of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV). One day later, on January 30, 2020 the novel coronavirus cases surpassed even the 8,096 cases worldwide which were the final SARS count in 2003.
- MERS (in 2012) killed 858 people out of the 2,494 infected (fatality rate of 34.4%).